Saturday, October 26, 2019

On the road

This is a continuation from the previous blog because it was getting too long and I was afraid you would be bored.
After Akaroa and sheep shearing we went for a walk along the coast to see a fur seal colony. It turned out to be quite a hike but was worth it to see the seals in their own environment.




Our journey continued the next day on very windy roads, one lane bridges and blind corners.

This overhang would only accommodate one car at a time and as you can see you could not see around the corner to see oncoming traffic.

Imagine meeting one of the large road trains half way through the drive. I wonder who would have to back up - my guess it would be us, being the smaller vehicle and being able to reverse.

We liked the name of Cape Foulwind. I wonder if it got its name from the smell or the strong winds.

Wow, the sea was rough that day as you can see by the following photos.



We made a stop for me to take a photograph (surprise, surprise) and I spied this bird. Yippee, I thought, a Kiwi at last. Unfortunately, the bird was a Weka and, unfortunately for the bird, it had lost its left foot. I have been told since by a native New Zealander that Kiwis are very rare, rarely seen and come out at night. The reason they are rare is because the Maori ate lots of them. They can be found in certain bird sanctuaries.



We passed a couple of waterfalls.


We have seen several herds of deer on our travels. I wonder if they are raised for their meat even though I have not seen venison on any menu.
Just a couple more photos to end with of the beautiful New Zealand scenery.





No comments:

Post a Comment