Friday, October 4, 2019

2nd day in Brisbane.

G'day, mates!
Today being our last day in Brisbane we decided to go and visit the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary which was reputed to have over 100 koalas. The weather was lovely - warm with low humidity.
 The koala was lovely and soft as well as cuddly. However, he was quite smelly. I asked what its name was and was told Davis. I then asked where its pouch was only to be told it was a male and had no pouch. Boy, did I feel a twit.


Their feet are quite interesting. They have opposable thumbs to help them grip branches and two toes are fused together to help with grooming.

 The male koala has a brown patch on his chest that secretes an odour that helps attract a mate.
Koalas have markings on their rumps. No two markings are alike.


                                             A wombat (much bigger than I had imagined).
                                                       An achidna (also a marsupial).
                                                       An emu with a bad hair day!

                                       I imagine the wallaby is saying "No, I won't eat that".
                                                            Success this time.
                                         A wallaby with a well developed joey in her pouch.
                                A wallaby with just the joey's legs sticking out of the pouch.
This joey is younger than the previous one as it has no fur. I still thought it looked cute.
The park also had a sheep herding demonstration, a raptor demo and a snake demo.



The above photo shows Gary sticking his finger deep into the wool of a Marino sheep. The wool was so soft and thick.

                                                                 A sea eagle.
                                                                    Eagle.
This little guy looks like a small barn owl but it was not. I do not remember the name of it, unfortunately.

 This girl was holding two small active pythons. Whilst talking to us one of them crawled up her arm, around her head and into her arm pit. I do not know if I could have done that even though I have held a snake before.
This is a photo of the inland taipan, the most deadliest snake in the world. We were told its venom could kill one hundred people. I hope I do not come across one of these. Australia has 150 different types of snakes, one hundred of whom are poisonous.
Tomorrow, we are off to Cairns (north of Brisbane) for 5 days. See you there.



No comments:

Post a Comment