Friday, October 18, 2019

Cairns

We flew from Brisbane to Cairns to spend 4 days at an Airbnb just outside of the main downtown area. I am glad we did this as downtown Cairns was very touristy. However, the first order of the day after arriving was to find a dentist for me as a crown had come loose and I was afraid I would  inadvertently swallow it. We found a very nice female dentist who gave me the bad news that the tooth underneath the crown was broken and I would need an inplant or a false tooth. Well, the medical insurance I took out prior to the trip did not cover dental work of this magnitude so I was left with the dentist gluing the crown back and warning me not to chew hard or soft food on that side. She also said she did not think the glue would work for long and I would probably need gluing at least once a week. Yuk, a good start to our holiday.
We noticed several trucks, cars and SUVs with huge bumpers on the front. We were told these were added to the vehicles in case they were to hit a kangaroo!!

An interesting street sign announced the approach of a zebra/pedestrian crossing-

A learner driver upon passing his/her drivers' test has to display a P on the back of the car signifying the driver is on probation for a number of months. They also were not allowed to drink alcohol whilst driving for the first six months after passing the drivers' test.


We decided we would book a trip on a catamaran to go out and snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef. This is something Gary and I have wanted to do for many years. We also thought of getting our scuba licence but things were not to be as Gary has diabetes and needed a doctor's note saying he was cleared to dive and I have high blood pressure and had the same problem. Never mind, at least we could snorkel. The boat drove for about 90 minutes in the pouring rain until it left the rain behind. The water was very rough and I began to feel queasy but managed to not feel ill. We were given wet suits for snorkeling and in we went. The reef was absolutely wonderful when the sun shone, which it did not too often. The colours and the coral were astounding. I saw a turtle, giant clam, cuttlefish and many brightly coloured fish I do not know the name of. The big problem was the current due to the winds. It was impossible to stay in one place and observe the fish without being swept away. After about 45 minutes I was so tired I had to return to the boat. One of the crew members had seen me struggling with the current so offered to take me back out using a flotation ring. He said he would pull me back to the reef. I agreed even though I was not feeling well because I did not want to hurt his feelings. When we returned to the boat I was well and truly sea sick. What a horrible feeling. I had to endure the journey back to Cairns feeling absolutely rotten. The crew were very caring and compassionate and kept me supplied with little white bags!!!
We had to buy a new underwater camera for the trip and unfortunately did not buy a good enough one to take decent photos. These are some of the best shots we got of the reef and the fish.






The next day we went into the tropical rain forest accompanied by intermittent sun and clouds. We visited Barron Falls in the Kurundu Rain Forest. This was followed by a visit to the Cairns Botanical Garden.

I have shown several photos of plants of which I do not know their names but were different to anything I have seen before.







On the way to Kurundu we passed several banana plantations. Each had strict quarantine rules for entering the plantation to prevent the spread of disease. Many of the bananas were covered in plastic bags. We were not sure if the bags were to prevent disease or animals from eating them.

After Kurundu we went to visit The Boulders, a National Park known for its rock formations. It really should have been known for the huge, biting flies that would not leave bare skin alone.




Whilst there I saw a bird on a branch overhanging the river. It was large and appeared to be some sort of fish loving bird from the way it looked at the water. Unfortunately, I could not zoom in any closer to get a better look. I have since found out that the bird was some kind of cormorant.

On the journey back to Cairns we took in some of the local scenery. The next shot is taken from an overlook high up in the hills.


Upon returning from Kurundu we decided to give the local repertory company a try as we love live theatre. The play they were putting on was "Tuesdays with Maurie" and comprised of only two male actors. It was really good and very well acted. The actors spoke in an American accent as the play took place in Boston. We are not sure if the actors were Australian or American as their accents were excellent.
After a pleasant say in Cairns we headed south to Magnetic Island, an island approximately 7 kilometers of the coast of Australia. We had two nights there so had to plan our visit well. We stayed at a very pleasant hotel run by Brian, a New Zealander who very kindly drew up a map of New Zealand and the sights for us to see when we visit there. We will definitely use his suggestions when we visit in a couple of weeks.
At approximately 5:30pm each day the hotel feeds the local kookaburras. You know me and birds so I just had to go and witness that. About five birds were waiting to be fed. They were given raw meat and seemed to love it as they always wanted more. The birds with the blue tail were male and the ones with the brown tail were female. Now, I can tell them apart. Other birds that could be seen at the resort were cockatiels and curlews.





The cockatiels were very difficult to photograph as they never settled for long in the trees.
The next day we took a tour of the island visiting places we had seen before on the local bus trip we had taken previously. There were some lovely beaches on the island, some of which were quite secluded and isolated.





We got to see some rock wallabies and because I had left over food from visiting Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary,  I was able to feed them.


 The tour guide also took us to a place were we could see a wild koala. He was nestled in  the branches of a tree and fast asleep.
There was a street sign announcing their presence.


 Beneath the sleeping Koala was an ants nest made up of leaves. The ants can give a nasty sting but the brave guide picked one up in his fingers and asked if anyone would like to lick the ant's bottom. Well, I just had to find out why. I licked the ant like I was told and was surprised to find it tasted of lime. Now, I ask myself "what person in his right mind would ever have wanted to lick the behind on a stinging ant?".

The island, being so small rented small two seater cars. They advertised that you could drive around "topless". They looked like Barbie cars.

Whilst on the tour I had to pay a visit to the loo. That was an experience in itself. The toilet was unisex and self contained. As you entered you pushed a button and the door slid shut. When the door closed soft music began to play with a message you had 10 minutes to do your business before the door re-opened. I wondered if they were playing Handel's Water Music!!!!

Our next adventure will be into the outback along the Tropic of Capricorn Way. I am looking forward to that as that is what I think the real Australia looks like. See you then.





No comments:

Post a Comment