Saturday, February 6, 2016

Well, I'm baaaack! after a year and a half hiatus. Gary and I are in Florida for the month of February in an attempt to get away from the cold, snowy North East. When we left Pasadena we had 20 inches of snow on the ground and temperatures in the 20s (F). Brrrr.
I have been able to take this trip due to Becky (my physical therapist) at AAMC. She worked me hard and encouraged me in everything I did. My new knee went from less that 30 degrees of flexion to approx 95 degrees. Thank-you, Becky. Yes, I am still doing my exercises!!!
So we left Pasadena, dropped Molly our cat off at our son David's-
and headed South. We stopped at Gary's cousin, Jackie's house in Alabama and Jim and Trudie's house in Georgia. The weather was already getting warmer - lovely.
Our first stay in Florida was in Land O' Lakes at a very nice resort we had booked on line. We were to live in a trailer home for 3 nights. As we pulled into the resort we passed a man walking in the same direction as we were driving. He was naked as a jaybird except for a white towel he was carrying over his shoulder!!!! I checked into the resort next to a lady in a black see through lace jacket and it then clicked - we had booked ourselves into a nudist colony. When we went out sight seeing the next day I saw this sign just beyond the resort entrance which would have explained everything-


 
The trailer we rented was quite nice with plenty of room and  well equipped except for a washer and dryer which most people did not need cos they were
not wearing any clothes.

Well, as the saying goes "when in Rome"-
                       I wish Gary had told me my hair was a mess!!!!
Whilst at the resort we visited a wild cat refuge (plus other animals). They take in animals that have been injured or no longer wanted. There was a beautiful white tiger and a ligon (a cross between a lion and a tiger).



We also went to a clever parrot show where we saw parrots on a scooter, roller skating and playing basketball.


I wonder how long it takes to train the animals.
 This little guy seems to have fallen and can't get up!!
This little fella is about to do the splits!! He had a very high pitched squawk when he got back onto his perch!!! 
We also paid a visit to Honeymoon Island where they have a very nice nature trail. In 1.5 hours we saw bald eagles, gopher tortoise, armadillo and lots of ospreys. I also saw a raccoon which ran across the hiking trail too fast for me to take a photo.



This is the only photo of a sunset I have so far. We were having dinner with two High School friends of Gary's - Shelia and Scotty. Scotty plays in a band and we have seen him several times, mostly in Independence, Missouri. The restaurant had Christmas lights that looked like icicles so I could not resist enclosing them in my photo despite the 65 degree evening.
Yesterday, we visited the Botanical Gardens at Naples. We had been there before two years ago but later in the year. The gardens were not as colorful, had the Lego ornaments like before but were still quite impressive.
The next few photos are of an orchid display at the gardens.


Those of you who have followed my blog in previous years know that I love water and reflections. I took a few nice photos at the gardens.





I thought you might like to see some of the Lego sculptures. Many were made with over 40,000 blocks.


The garden had a small butterfly house with a few different types of butterflies.


I was in the right place at the right time as was the snake, the poor mouse however, was in the wrong place at the wrong time and became a take away lunch.

Finally, the gardens proved too much for Gary. He found himself a hammock climbed in and and relaxed. However, getting out proved to be more difficult than getting in.
Well, this ends my first blog about our Florida Fling. More next week after we visit Disneyland.









1 comment:

  1. Love the "when in Rome" picture! Glad you put a towel down! Cannot wait to read the rest! Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete